Advice and consultancy

We can help you get listed building consent for insulation works or advise you on the best measures to improve energy ratings in your period property

Our team of experts can help you install the best possible insulation solutions, avoid costs, delays and navigate the maze of listed building and conservation approvals.

Drawing on our unrivalled experience in energy-saving installations, we have saved our customers hours of wasted time and money on unnecessary consultancy costs. We’ve also saved thousands of tonnes of carbon and improved the thermal efficiency of hundreds of listed and period homes.

Mitchell & Dickinson is Constructionline accredited, a member of the Energy Efficiency Association and Guild of Master Craftsmen, and has won awards for its innovative solutions, environmental credentials, know-how and craftsmanship.

We offer reliable, clear and practical advice and consultancy in the following areas:

Listed buildings

Every property is different and we’ll be able to establish whether your insulation or secondary glazing project needs simple Conservation Officer Approval or whether it needs more detailed Listed Building Consent.

Insulation Specialists for Period and Listed Properties

Conservation Officer Approval

Most local authorities employ a Conservation Officer, who offers expert advice on applications relating to historic buildings and areas. They will be able to advise you on whether you will need extra consent for planned work.

We can talk to your local Conservation Officer on your behalf to see whether our insulation qualifies for their approval. If so, they can issue a Certificate of Lawfulness. If not, you will need to make a full application for Listed Building Consent.

We’ll provide simple plans to obtain written confirmation of Conservation Officer Approval in the form of a Certificate of Lawfulness or other written confirmation

For individual homeowners, we charge a £350 fee plus VAT for this service

95% of our installations get approval and do not need a full application for listed building consent.

If you want to alter or extend a listed building in a way that affects its character or appearance as a building of special architectural or historic interest, you must first apply for Listed Building Consent from your local planning authority.

Every property is different, and we’ll be able to establish whether your Mitchell and Dickinson insulation project requires Listed Building Consent. A full listed building application can be tricky and time-consuming, so we can undertake the approval for you.

Our four-step process

  • 1. We talk to your local authority planning department about your project on your behalf to establish whether our insulation qualifies for their approval.
  • 2. We complete the Listed Building Consent forms and submit detailed drawings and schematics.
  • 3. We liaise with your local planning department on your behalf to answer questions and supply any information that is required.
  • 4. We provide you with a report that details the Listed Building Approval and necessary information for the installation.

This typically takes 3-4 weeks and costs £550 plus VAT. If we have already completed a Conservation Officer Approval for a Certificate of Lawfulness our fee will simply be an additional £200 plus VAT for the full application for consent.

Heat loss measures and advice

We advise owners of large estates and individual properties alike on the measures required to maximise heat loss reduction in the most efficient and sympathetic way for their particular property while ensuring healthy levels of ventilation and breathability.

Speaking engagements

Our experts in carbon saving, heat loss reduction and insulation measures for listed and period properties are often asked to speak at events or in the media all over the south of England. We can field speakers for talks, conferences, meetings and webinars. Please call us today to discuss your event. 

Talk to us

If you’re interested in finding out more, we’re happy to talk you through your options.

Drop our friendly customer services team a call or use the enquiry form below.